Okay, after several days' intermission, I am back to watching a few episodes an evening as a way of winding down before not going to bed.
Per a request made over reader by The ACTUAL God, I am now going to list my five least favorite Simpson's supporting players. This is bound to anger some people, but I live to court controversy! So, without further prologue, to the list!
5. Sideshow Mel: With the ouster of Sideshow Bob as Krusty's sidekick in Season 1, there was an opportunity to introduce a novel and original character, but instead we got Sideshow Mel, who hardly develops at all throughout the first six seasons or so. When he does develop, we learn he is little more than Sideshow Bob redux: over qualified as an actor, highly intelligent, and righteously indignant at Krusty's assaults.
4. Patty Bouvier: My choice of Selma for top five was probably my most controversial call, but the only surprise here is that Patty isn't lower on the food-chain... Aside from her ill-fated relationship with Skinner in Season 2, she isn't developed all that much in early on except as the satisfied half of the Patty/Selma codependent pair. Later, in Season 16, she comes out as gay, a gesture I took and take as a complete publicity stunt. As such, it did little to redeem her in these judgmental eyes.
3. Reverend Lovejoy: He's boring and pointless for the most part. Sure he has a good line here or there but in the episodes he is featured in he's awful. And his back-story of being brought to apathy by Flanders' constant complaining is weak, in my book. Also whatever happened to that daughter of his...? (More on guest stars later)
2. Gil Gunderson: Gil is only introduced in the 9th season. There really weren't that many bad supporting characters in the early days. But Gil, clearly premised on a character played by Jack Lemmon in Season 8, which character was in turn based off of Lemmon's role in Glengarry Glen Ross. I just don't like Gil's sad sack routine. I don't believe it in the way I believe Herb Powell as a hobo. Does that make sense?
1. Ned Flanders: Sure, he's funny, but mostly he pisses me off. He totally ruined The Simpson's Movie, and most of the episodes he features in are sub-par. Is he necessary? Of course. But do I have to like him? Absotively posolutely not!