3.03.2006

K. T. MacFarland: Keystone Kops All The Way

So I was reading a truly informative piece of journalism about the Republicans' (for once) woefully mismanaged attempt to challenge Hillary Clinton in the 2006 Senate election when I found a reference to that delightful band of bunglers, the Keystone Kops.

Keystone Kops, I have always assumed, refers to some 1970's "CHiPs"-style show that I just haven't seen, a show that focuses on the hilarious bumbling of a group of well-intentioned, good-looking police men, possibly with motorcycles. Right? This is what everyone thinks, right?

Wrong. Dead wrong. In fact, the real Keystone Kops were featured in a sequence of silent films that were made from 1912-1917! I was blown away by this revelation, honestly, I had no idea that phrase referred to something so old... But knowing this, I am perhaps more troubled than I was... I now have no way of explaining how something from ninety years ago has retained currency when someone like Hammer (gold chain jingle to Rich) seems hopelessly dated... Who can explain?

2 comments:

Alex said...

Hey, dude. Who are you, actually?

b riemann said...

are you saying you no longer find "2 legit 2 quit" relevant??